Saturday, November 14, 2015

A Nepalese Tradition Comes to a Dog-Loving U.S. Neighborhood


A Nepalese Tradition Comes to a Dog-Loving U.S. Neighborhood

By Leslie Duss



When photos of adorable dogs in Nepal decked in marigold garlands appeared in the news earlier this year, we thought it would be great to do something similar in our very dog-friendly neighborhood of Del Ray in Alexandria, VA.   After all, Del Ray is a haven for dogs. We imagined a parade of Del Ray dogs through town.

Earlier this fall, we honored Del Ray dogs in the Nepalese tradition called Kukur Tihar or Kukur Puja, the worship of dogs.

While in the initial planning phase for the event, our friends at doggiewalker.com referred us to neighbor and dog lover Susan Walke. Susan lived in Nepal and participated in Kurkur Tihar so she had first-hand knowledge about how it works and strong ties to the local Nepalese community in our area.

Several Nepalese community leaders celebrated with us and even donated all the marigold garlands that adorned each dog.

We met a small  “Pocket Park”, where the dogs had a chance to meet and sniff each other – and owners could chat.

We set up the marigold garlands according to size.

Mrs. Bandita Sharma Dahal spoke to everyone for a few minutes, telling us about the ritual we were about to perform. She said that dogs are honored as protectors of the home and also the messengers of Lord Yamaraj, the God of Death. Dogs are worshiped each year for Kukur Tihar and offered garlands, tika (the red powder) and special treats.

We decorated the forehead of each dog with colored powder (tika) as we presented them with their own marigold garland.

The group the paraded through our neighborhood.


Stopping for rests and water breaks along the way…


Finally making it to the local dog park

After all that walking and socializing, the dogs were ready for a nap!

Not only was this a fun event for everyone, we raised $540 for Nepal. The funds will be used to purchase a new set of clothing for 40 orphans in a town about an hour from Kathmandu. The Rotary Club will also prepare a special festival meal (for the Nepali festival of Dashain) for the children when they take them the clothes.

This post originally appeared in DIYDelRay.com.  For more information on how you can celebrate your dog and assist the Nepali community, please contact info@diydelray.com or leave a comment for PawsGo.

Here is more information on the festival -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tihar_(festival)
 
 

 

21 comments:

  1. That's awesome. :) I love the idea of this festival, I hope more dog friendly cities will celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Aimee! It was great fun and a great cause We will do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. What Do I Do If my Dog Runs Through an Invisible Fence

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks cat loves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. dogloo dog house

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work does my dog have hypothyroidism

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i've been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. how long does cat urine odor last

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for every other informative site. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information. Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give adequate knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful material. I will be back for the more great post. Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. Best size cage for a hamster in your home

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. Thank you for your clear information. View More

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks Flea Tick and Heartworm Prevention for Dogs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this great post, i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future. Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. What Can I Give My Dog to Increase Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also Shock Collar for small dogs

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. dog Behaviourist

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work check it out

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks www.allaboutgsd.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Health Experts have proven that regular exercise coupled with a good diet allow you to live longer and healthier. In this busy day and age, not everyone has the time to go to the gym - resulting to a lot of overweight people that desperately need to exercise. A healthy alternative is for you to Buy Home Gym Equipments that you can store in your own home or even at your office. Here are some tips when buying home gym equipment.

    First, know your fitness goals and keep these goals in mind when you are buying home gym equipment. One of the biggest mistakes that people make is buying the biggest or trendiest fitness machine simply because they like how it looks. More often than not, these end up gathering dust in your storage rooms or garage because you never end up using them. It is important to take note of what particular type of physical activity you want or enjoy doing before you buy your exercise machine. If you are looking to loose a few pounds and you enjoy walking or hiking, a treadmill is the best option for you. If you are looking to tone your lower body while burning calories a stationary bike is your obvious choice. Similarly, Special Equipments for Core Strength Exercises, Strength Training Weight Vests, Core Strength & Abdominal Trainers, Home Cardio Training, Strength Training Power Cages, Strength Training Racks & More.

    Second, set aside a budget before Buying Home Gym Equipments. Quality exercise machines do not come cheap. They are constantly exposed to wear and tear when they are used properly. So, pick machines that are built to last and have passed quality certifications to get the most out of your money. If you are operating on a tight budget, think about investing in several weights, We can Provide you High Quality Home Gym Equipments at Very Low Prices for your Complete Uses: Core Strength Exercises, Strength Training Weight Vests, Core Strength & Abdominal Trainers, Home Cardio Training, Strength Training Power Cages, Strength Training Racks & More.

    Its the Right Time to Buy Home Gym Equipments for you at Very Low Prices.

    ReplyDelete